Dr. Joseph J. Tohill
(short Curriculum Vitae)
- PhD, History, York University (2012) Dissertation: “A Consumers’ War”: Price Control and Political Consumerism in the United States and Canada during World War II
- Visiting Fulbright Scholar, History Department, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (2002)
- A. History, University of Western Ontario (1996)
- Honours B.A. History, University of Western Ontario (1995)
- Shopping for Change: Consumer Activism in North American History (co-edited with Louis Hyman). Between the Lines and Cornell University Press (forthcoming 2017).
- “Introduction” (written with Louis Hyman) and “The Consumer Goes to War: Consumer Politics in the United States and Canada during the Second World War.” In Shopping for Change: Consumer Activism in North American History
- “Consumer Activism.” In The Wiley-Blackwell Encyclopedia of Consumption and Consumer Studies. Daniel Thomas Cook and J. Michael Ryan.
- Review of Jobs and Justice: Fighting Discrimination in Wartime Canada, 1939-45, by Carmela Patrias. American Review of Canadian Studies 43, no. 1 (March 2013).
SELECTED CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS
- “‘A Consumers’ War’: Price Control and Political Consumerism in the United States and Canada during World War II.” Social Science History Association Annual Meeting, Toronto, 6-9 November 2014.
- “Battle Stations for All: Gender, Race, and Rationing in the United States and Canada.” Organization of American Historians Annual Meeting, Boston, 25–28 March 2004
- “‘No Meat, No Work’: Differential Rationing and the Politics of Equal Shares in Canada and the United States during the Second World War.” Canadian Historical Association Annual Meeting, Halifax, 29–31 May 2003.
- Fulbright Scholarship, 2001–2002, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
2004–2016 Contract Lecturer, Continuing Education, Ryerson University, Toronto
2010-2016 Contract Faculty, History Department, York University, Toronto
2015-2016 Contract Lecturer, Department of History, Ryerson University, Toronto
2014 Lecturer, Department of Historical Studies, University of Toronto at Mississauga,
2013 Course Director, History Department, Trent University (Oshawa Campus)